With more commercial and residential builders opting for eco-friendly choices like solar power or greenery, flat roofs are becoming increasingly more common. The structural benefits also promote easier accessibility and extra square footage that allow for a higher level of stability when choosing to add heavier components like solar panels or gardens. If you want a roofing pro near you for a flat roof or roofing repair, here’s how North Shore Roofing will help you get it.
What Is Flat Roof Construction?
Flat rooftops have a dissimilarity to sloped roofs as builders construct slope roofs at a level and up to ten-degree grades. They also are made with durable waterproof materials that prevent leaking, which is why it has been more popular with business owners and multi-family units.
Flat rooms typically last between twenty and thirty years because of the various types of materials they are made, including BUR, gravel, tar, metal, recycled synthetic rubber (EPDM), and bitumen. These styles are more affordable as they run between $3 and $10 per square foot.
- Metal roofs are constructed using single panels that connect. They are very inexpensive and have a longer lifespan than other materials. While they do reduce heating and cooling costs tremendously, they are not as popular today as other more robust materials.
- BUR (built-up roof) is a multi-layer roofing system that adds layers upon layers of materials that are waterproof and fire-resistant. It has a 25 to 30-year life expectancy.
- SPF (sprayed polyurethane foam) gets applied in liquid form as a layer over an existing rooftop that includes a second protective coating, which is why it will last for more than thirty years. SPF flat roofing may require another protective coating every 15 years.
- EPDM (ethylene propylene diene monomer) is a single-layer roofing material that lasts about three decades. It is also a sturdier roof in case you want to add A/Cs or panels.
- PVC (polyvinyl chloride) a single-layer roof made of plastic that lasts about 30 years.
- Modified Bitumen is a rolled roofing material that roofing professionals install with a blowtorch. It lasts ten to twenty years, depending on climate and weather conditions.
- Asphalt is an inexpensive single-layer material that lasts about 10 to 15 years.
- TPO (thermoplastic polyolefin) is a flat roof material made of reinforced rubber, which generally lasts about twenty and thirty years, depending on professional installation.
Choosing A Flat Roof Or A Material For A Roofing Repair
If you are a commercial business owner, choosing a flat roof is an obvious choice if you are building a warehouse, a grocery store, or a manufacturing plant. It is also a more obvious selection for multi-plex apartments, modernized architectural structures, or tiny homes. The longevity of flat roof installations and flat-roof repairs depend solely on the roofing company you choose as well as the type of materials you invest. Most notably, if you intend to install HVAC units, solar panels, or satellites, you will want to speak with our experts for guidance.
If you have questions about a new flat roof installation or a roofing repair, give us a call at (978) 977-3816 or visit our Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/NorthShoreRoofingMA.